Thursday, October 22, 2015

Periscope is my new Favorite App!



What is Periscope? Periscope is an app for iOs and Android that lets you "go live" from your mobile device anytime! With this app, you can broadcast, live. People broadcast, or "scope," about what they see, like events, music. Or they broadcast themselves and speak with viewers who can leave comments and "hearts." The hearts appear when viewers tap anywhere on the screen of their device. It shows the broadcaster that the viewers are liking what they are seeing. Once the broadcast is over, the video can still be watched on "Replay" for 24 hours. Viewers can share the broadcaster's video with their own followers, or share it on Twitter or Facebook.

I've only just started to use Periscope, but I've already done several broadcasts during an open house that I did over the weekend. It is very easy to use, but there are a few things that I had to figure out.

1.  Make sure your phone does not have the portrait orientation locked, if you want to broadcast in landscape mode. For real estate, I like to show a wider view, rather than a tall view. But I didn't start out the broadcast in landscape mode. So throughout the broadcast, my video was just playing sideways. I finally figured out how to broadcast correctly in landscape mode today. Did a test broadcast of my dog eating dogfood outside so that I could see if the landscape mode would work.  It worked finally!

2.  Get a Twitter account.  I've always had a Twitter account, so that's not a problem.  But my coworker, needed to create a Twitter account when he downloaded Periscope.  So you will run into it eventually if you are interested in getting Periscope.

OKAY, so now you want to broadcast, what should you do?

When starting a Periscope broadcast, there are a few things you need to do!
 
a. make sure you are in landscape orientation (at least for real estate)
 
b. type in an interesting title (in landscape mode) add emojis
 
c. turn OFF Precise Location if you don't want people to know your exact location (it can be zoomed in on the map to a very detailed level, so turn it off if you don't want any creepers)
 
d. make sure comments are enabled for the public! it is fun interacting with the people who comment while watching your broadcast.  I had this feature blocked so only my friends/followers could comment, which was not what I had wanted to do!
 
 e. make sure you have battery backup or a charger because broadcasting live really drains your phone's power.  I found this out the hard way after my second day of broadcasting!  My battery went from 100% to 6% after 2 long-ish broadcasts!  Admittedly I was streaming jazz music from Youtube on my laptop, which was tethered to my phone's hotspot, soooo maybe that contributed quite a bit also.  :)

All in all, Periscope is so easy to use.  I am so excited to be a part of the Periscope world!  If you would like to see all my prior broadcasts, you can watch them on my Katch page!




 -
~Tina Jan~
BRE# 01505855
Real Estate Masters Group
770 E. 6th St., Suite A,
Beaumont, CA 92223
Cell: 909-446-2666
Fax: 951-880-0819
tinajan@gmail.com
www.tinajan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!